Sunday, August 31, 2008

learning

Last week when we were assigned the question “What is the most important issue in World Politics?” I though the question was hard.  I sat at my computer, contemplating every important global issue I could think of.  I chose the need for improved education I because felt it was the most effective way to solve any form of future and current global issues as well as promote global progress.

I knew that the question was meant to be open ended with several possible answers but I did not realize just how many answers there could be until our discussion on Friday.  Furthermore from our class discussion I came to a new realization about World Politics- anything can become world politics.  Any single event has the potential to effect the globe- well, I might be exaggerating slightly.  

My point is that for an issue to become a global issue there is no set path.  I will use the example we used continuously in class, “plumbing”.  Never would I have thought of it as an issue in world politics, let alone a significant one.  But, as we established in class if the circumstances are right it can be.  Just because my plumbing problems will most likely never be a major global issue doesn’t mean someone else’s won’t be.  I know we went over that point in class but I am still surprised at myself for never thinking about global politics from that perspective.  I makes so much sense now (and makes me better understand why Professor Jackson assigned the question to us.)

Its only been one class, and already I am realizing something I didn’t initially that now seems so obvious.  As corny as this all may sound this is one of the thinks I was looking forward to from this class.  In high school I was one of the most globally aware of my peers- but that’s not saying much.  I am ready to be out of my element here.  But who says that’s a bad thing- it may lead to some interesting conversations. 

No comments: