Thursday, December 4, 2008

Could Snow Crash happen in the future??

Since parts of what Stepheson wrote in Snow Crash have already become reality, I think it’s possible that more of what what is the book could also come true. As I think was mentioned in class, he did a good job predicting the role of computers in today’s society.

A lot of things in the book I could see as being possible in years. What I thought was most interesting is the value of having everything you want when you want it, which is a mindset I think contributes a lot to the future in Snow Crash. We see this kind of behavior now already, all you have to do is go black Friday shopping. This is also a reason that we are in the financial crisis we are in today. People want things that they can’t afford but they aren’t willing to wait for them. (just like people weren’t willing to wait for a pizza to be delievered late in the book)

I hope our society doesn’t lose all its values and traditions though. I don’t want our futue to be taken over by McDonalds! Our society has become more privatized as regulation has decreased, but hopefully we won’t ever get to the place society is at in Snow Crash. I don’t think we will because I’d like to believe we are smart enough as a society to realize when things have gone too far. I think we would stop things before they went toofar as I think they did in the book.

No comments: