Sunday, December 7, 2008

final blog

Firstly, for those of you who did not make it to the Newseum I would definitely recommend it.  I spent the majority of my time in the room that contained every Pulitzer Prize winning photo-- talk about a picture’s worth a thousand words!  My emotion ranged from near tears to overwhelming feelings of laughter and joy within that room.  If you haven’t been that room alone was totally worth a trip to the Newseum.  Another room I thought was interesting talked about reporting in East Berlin during the Cold War,  they.  When you first walk into the room you are facing several sections of the Berlin Wall from the West Berlin side all covered in art are graffiti after looking at that a video instructed you to look at the other side of the wall which as I expected, were clean.  Seeing the contrast for myself was very different from seeing it in pictures or reading about the contrast.

As Tori mentioned in a recent blog post PTJ’s influence makes me wonder what a museum’s message is.  However, even without PTJ’s influence I think I would be able to figure this one out.  Walking through the Newseum and only seeing positivities of the media it is very clear who established it.  It was much more subjective than most non-for-profit museums are.  But despite is subjectivity, I really enjoyed it.


So, the semester is almost over-- wow!  UCWP was not exactly what I thought it would be, but I think I gained more from the experience because of that fact.  My favorite aspect of the class was the fact that it was always a discussion.  Yes, I know I did not usually verbalize much, but I have always gotten a lot out of listening to others.  In a discussion setting I feel that as a class we were independently able to learn what PTJ wanted to teach us through trial and error.  Often, through the realization of error, or that I was first missing the point is when I learned the most.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I agree with you a lot that World Politics wasn't what I thought it would be and it isn't something I'm that interested in, but I liked being able to learn about it. I also agree that I got to learn a lot listening to other people talk.

I wish I would have been able to go with to the Newseum it sounds really good. I'm sure I'll be able to go there sometime over the next 4 years though!