Wednesday, September 24, 2008

700 billion might change it all

Assuming aliens landed on the White House lawn (which would be a major accomplishment in itself-- I personally think the government would shoot the UFO down before it landed) I think the government would act with extremely high security measures.  As much as I hate to say it I do not think the poor aliens stand a chance.  I think that the majority of the public would be terrified by the arrival of the aliens and I think to please public opinion the government would take immediate action.  Sure, it is very possible that these aliens will be intelligent, kind aliens but I do not think that the government will be willing to take the time to find that out.  I think a fear of the unknown will take over and immediate action will be what the government chooses to do.

The type of government action?...Well, I do not think the aliens will like it.  Most likely they will be arrested.  I definitely expect a realist reaction from the government.  The main concern will be security, I think the government’s first instinct will be that the aliens are a direct threat to US citizen’s and the White House’s safety-- there will be a fear of invasion.  As we discussed in class sometimes a state that practices a combination of IR theories learns towards one specific theory, I think fear will not only instigate a more realist approach, but civilians will be okay with it.  Fear often comes from the unknown and I think both government and civilian’s number one priority will be to protect themselves from the unknown terror of the aliens.  Despite the fear I doubt the government would do anything more drastic to the aliens than arrest such as killing the aliens or exiling them from Earth because getting rid of the aliens mean they would not be around for additional questioning...I think after the initial shock of their arrival the government would like to learn about them, even if the public and government is still hostile towards them.  

From this point I think the government’s next action depends on how the aliens respond to questioning.  If it appears that the aliens are going to be a threat to the United States or the world I think the government will do all it can to get rid of them.  On the other hand if the aliens do not appear threatening I think the government would continue questioning them until they fully understand what the aliens’ motive are for coming to the United States, overall I think the government would be very skeptical.  Currently I can only think of two ways for the government to embrace the aliens, first, if they come in saying, “we have cheap oil” or second, if they have 700 billion dollars.


No comments: