Monday, September 15, 2008

If your happy and you know it...

As I look back to Friday's class, I realize how tame and civilized that discussion truly was. We were able to look at Machiavelli without any nerf guns or people imposing a thought embargo. But while I listened to our discussions I realized how much I don’t know compared to most of these people. Compared to the points other people made, mine look like those of a five year old. I noticed how geography helps a nation prioritizes security over civil institutions, but that was the only argument I made. When people started to give examples of Ghana and they knew the military strength of it, I kinda felt like my point was nothing in comparison. But all of this is besides the point.

In class, I mentioned that democracy was a major change that makes some of Machiavelli's arguments not valid. This is true, but democratic society has also only reenforced some of his ideas. To be feared, not hated is one of Machiavelli’s most brought up points in class because it is still practiced today, even in democracies. Though fear and hate can go side to side, if a president needs to get something done, he will do what it takes to get the job through, i.e Iraq. Though not as radical as Machiavelli is talking about, the principle is still in practice today.

So to sum it all this past week, I was a member of a gang that would probably hurt me if they ever saw those pictures, talked about the change in Machiavelli’s arguments and avoided getting shot by the Vulcan. Over all, pretty good week.

1 comment:

Ziggy said...

I totally feel you about how inferior you feel in class sometimes. Everyone seems to watch cspan 24/7 and seems to have been born with a photographic memory, seeing as so many of them can remember the exact names of all the obscure politicians in all of the obscure countries in our obscure world. With each class I am amazed at how genius their ideas and supporting facts are; I am really trying to learn something from them and soak in whatever I possibly can. I know I will never be able to rattle of the histories of various nations like so many of our classmates can, but I can at least enjoy it and just listen. Plus, I'm sure the students like you and I seem pretty genius to their kind, too. Or maybe not. But I know you have good ideas and i know I have good ideas and that why we're in such a great genius filled class. Don't get discouraged!