Sunday, September 14, 2008

UCWP Might Be Better For Me Than I Thought, But Not In The Way I Thought

As I think everyone in the class knows I was supposed to be in Explorations but when the class was canceled and I was given the chance to be in WP I jumped at the opportunity.  I knew I would be out of my element but was okay with it- it creates the best learning environment.  I love the class both academically and socially...but still I feel somewhat out of place.  Last week we talked about Machiavelli and security issues I sat listening, genuinely intrigued but with little to contribute and it hit me- this is not what I want to be doing for the rest of my life!  I always loved studying about different countries and their interactions.  Naturally I thought International Relations was what I wanted to learn, but, the more we discuss defense, government, and state leaders the more I realize what really interests me about global studies is culture and the people within the culture.  As I glance back on my past blogs I realize my main concern is usually with a state’s people.  I care more about the citizens of a state rather than the laws or leaderships.  

I know this blog sounds pessimistic but I don’t mean to be.  Its better to recognize  WP might not be for me now then senior year.  Then again, half way through the semester I may change my mind.  I have plenty of time.  

No comments: