Sunday, November 16, 2008

I did it, with ZERO regrets

Okay, I admit it, when I first found out that DC would be one of the many cities having a protest against Proposition Eight I considered not going.  Its not that I don’t believe in the cause-- the right of homosexual marriage is one of if not the social issue that is most important me.  Although like in my last blog I often refer to an ideal situation like Bovice, I am a realist.  I knew my actions would have no immediate affect, and that saddened me.  I wanted to go out there say what I had to say, and for all of the people of CA to change their minds.  But, we all know that’s not how it works.  After I reminded myself that the protest was not about changing CA’s laws but publicizing the issue of the injustice that Proposition Eight was and to be spreading the message limiting marriage to a union between a man and a woman limits individuals liberties.  I won’t go into specific details about the protest since Seamus McGregor already did.  Even with the pouring rain and threat of a thunder storm, I am glad I went.  Shouting along with the thousands of people surrounding me who feel the same way I do and listen to people tell their stories to the crowd gave me an overwhelming feeling of hope-- that things have to change and they will.


As for Wednesday’s lab, I sometimes felt Tippett was not really answering all the questioned she was asked, but overall, I like her message.  As a product of an interfaith marriage I was brought up to have one specific faith but to not only respect others but UNDERSTAND them.  With what seemed like 99% of my friends growing up having a different religion than me there was always someone to pester with my questions.  Interestingly enough this week’s Shabbat services were interfaith services, and some of my non-Jewish friends came with me.  They share the same interest and respect in Judaism that I have in their religions (actually after services we went to Starbucks and listened to Christian musicians).  I fully recognize that religious institutions have their flaws but at the same time their benefits.  I feel that only through complete understanding of others beliefs is the only time the benefits can outweigh the flaws.  And yes, I am fully aware that will most likely not happen-- at least not in my lifetime.  I look forward to discussing this with you all further this week during dinner.

No comments: