Sunday, November 23, 2008

yes, i know, i should have used a synonym for justice some of the time

On Friday, my group and I taught the lesson about justice. Through our trial/debate simulation we tried to ask is the court system a good way to practice justice. Through our recent readings, visit to the American Indian Museum, and classroom discussions I would say no. I am not saying that justice does not exist within the court system because sometimes is does. However, as we pointed our in our lesson, sometimes the winner is whomever has the best argument, and that method has the possibility to not reach a just ruling. So, how do we prevent this method? How do we make sure the just answer alway prevails? Well, I’m not sure we can.  A trial or debate is about making arguments, there is always a better arguer.


Additionally, as we mentioned when we talked about both Cortés and Columbus and their encountering of the natives, different groups of people have different perspectives.  According to their values, both men were able to justify their actions whereas we could argue that the men’s actions were not just. One question our group prepared for the class but I do not think we has time to ask was, “can perspective/ideals determine justice?”  I would say yes because without looking and one’s perspective and ideals how can one decide what was just?  However, this also makes room for clashing ideas of what justice is because clearly people frequently do not have the same ideals/perspectives.  In scenarios where people cannot agree on what is just ideals are always imposed on someone who does not agree with them.


I really liked the American Indian Museum and I am planning on returning to see what I did not get a chance to look at.  For those of you who did not see the special exhibit, Fritz Scholder, I would suggest going back!


I hope everyone has a good break and a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: