Sunday, October 26, 2008

I cannot think of a clever title for this one so ill leave it up to you to think of your own

I wasn’t going to get involved in the whole gun control debate because I thought it had nothing to do with class but after reading Nate’s post I feel that I need to at least mention my feelings on the situation. I believe that a person has a right to own a gun, BUT that does not mean I am advocating for no gun control. Gun control and registration are important and making sure that Joe the Gang Leader (get it...it’s a McCain joke) doesn't have the means to arm his gang with AK-47s is still important but that should not prevent any “sane” person from getting a gun. I know “sane” is a loaded word and it sparks debate but I’m not arguing who or what makes a person sane that is up to. As you all know I’m from New Jersey, aka Hell on Earth or The Best State Ever. Within New Jersey there are three major cities where gun violence is an issue: Trenton, Camden and Newark. I live 5 minutes outside of Trenton so the threat of gang violence spilling over into my town is very strong. To have one moment of political incorrectness, most of the violence in Trenton is caused by the African-American community, but they are not attacking every white person walking down the street in Trenton. Yes, I knew someone who was beaten to a pulp in Trenton, but he decided it would be fun to play a prank on the Bloods. They didn’t attack him because he was a rich white kid. Racial tension obviously exists in most cities, but it not causing the violence. People become stressed and worried about their state of being so a natural reaction is to fight for survival, hence the arrival of the street gang. But I am digressing. To respond to Nate’s post directly, if guns are completely banned, which is unlikely to begin with, gun prices will go up. Yes, that is basic economics, but how will a common street thug, fighting to pay his rent, be able to buy a gun at a higher price. Okay someone will argue that someone will make cheap guns in their basement g yes that is true and it will keep gun violence but it would be a bit lower. Though I know I will be seeing comments on this I need to stop because I feel other people are making better arguments (aka Bovice) and I don't know enough to support my arguments.

Now its time for my other reflection...yeah so the market is still in the crapper. But gas prices are low. I asked my mom this weekend what the average gas price back home was and it was $2.53/gallon. Last time I had to fill up my car gas was hovering around $4/gallon. At least there is some good coming out of this crisis. Only a little over a week until the election....hope everyone got their ballot. Yeah...halloween this Friday, still don't have a costume. That it. Can’t write anymore.

2 comments:

Lucas said...

Post Title: Couldn't think of one either
McCain joke: funny
New Jersey: Its east of Chicago, so its the exact same as the rest of this so called "New England"
Bloods: Sort of scary, kind of cute
Gun prices going up: I didn't even think about that
Gas prices: I wish they would stay high...people need to be more active
Your costume: Kirby?

Tori said...

New Jersey: BEST STATE EVER (thanks for mentioning that!)
I agree that in Trenton and Camden and Newark there is a lot more gun violence than anywhere else in our lovely state, but those are the places that are on the lower end on the economic scale. Gangs can have ethnic ties, but they really only flourish in urban areas with a lot of financial problems. I think that we can all realize that race is not the issue here. I will also state that Trenton and Newark are not scary to me. I've had no experience with Camden.
I like the idea of increasing prices of guns, we could also increase the price of ammunition concurrently, making one less interested in firing the gun because of the cost.

Side note: Who is stupid enough to play a prank on the Bloods???