Sunday, October 5, 2008

Syd’s Stream of Consciousness

On Tuesday I was with Angel Dust aka Mama D welcoming in the new year, so like him I cannot comment on Tuesday’s class.  As for Friday I left class felling well informed with Brittany Spears stuck in my head, but not particularly enthusiastic.  On Saturday along with some other UCWP kids and another friend I saw Burn After Reading.  It basically is a satire of the government and I thought the movie was hysterical.  I think part of my appreciation for the movie is the fact that I am now living in DC.  I’ll try not to spoil it for all you who want to see it but the gist of it is a top CIA worker unjustly demotes a CIA employee and all chaos ensues.  So, everything could have been prevented if the CIA official did not plan to unjustly demote someone. In a nutshell, the government does something for no reason, BAD stuff happens to innocent people, the government could care less-plus several coincidences.  

Today, the general public expects our government to fail.  According to my US History teacher the American public once revered our politicians but once we became accustomed to scandals and corrupt politicians we became skeptical.  Now we always expect the worse.  When we don’t we encounter an unpleasant surprise.  The first two who come to mind are Governor Spitzer and Senator Edwards two men that the public loved until we found out their secrets.  Of course this judgement is not fair, I’m sure that most politicians are good people but, we remember the scandals more than the good deeds.  

Clearly today as we see from the record low approval ratings with the war in Iraq, the financial crisis people are upset with the Bush administration.  With the public’s pessimism I really feel this will be a monumental election, and I want to see what happens.  I wonder if once Bush is gone will people regain faith in the political system?  I mean we have to regain faith eventually, hypothetically if we were never able to regain our trust in the system the public would demand a change.  Again to quote my history teacher “we will never know until the history books are written.”


But yeah...I would recommend the movie

1 comment:

Michele said...

I second your movie recomendation!!! It was really good. I also agree with the connections you made between citizens and irresponsible government. I think it's interesting how something that might seem small in politics can really turn out to be a big problem.