Sunday, October 12, 2008

Yet Another Stream of Consciousness...This Time About Space...

Before this project I cannot say I never put too much thought into the importance of space programs.  Although we were specifically told that this essay was not a question of policy, my mind could not help but wonder.  Although I always regarded NASA and other international programs as innovative and at the cutting edge of technology over the past few days I began to think despite those characteristics are they necessary?  NASA was established 50 years ago and what has it gotten us?  Sure, we can orbit Earth, walk on the moon, build a space station, send robots to Mars, etc but, what has that gotten us?  What exactly are the benefits space discovery?  Are there benefits or do we discover to discover?  I am sure there are many arguments against me, but all I see space discovery for is a luxury...


As I talked to Lucas earlier today he pointed out that programs like the international space station have strengthened relations between states, this is true but still what exactly do we gain from the physical space station.  I don’t mean to be a critic of science I know all scientific discoveries were once unknown.  But, is it worth several nations spending billions of dollars annually on something that does not seems to have a significant affect on the human race over the fifty years?...


I have heard space being suggested as a dumping ground for garbage once Earth becomes too polluted.  That can’t help international relations between states.  Not every state can do it, it would be too much pollution.  How would the world decide who gets to gets to launch their garbage into space?-- no one owns it.  Do only the states with developed space programs have the ability and therefore right to do it?  Not that I know anything about the subject but to me it does not seem like a good idea to dump garbage into space-- it seems like common sense that garbage would harm the universe.  If this situation came to be, it could harm relations between states because states would argue if states had the right to dump things into space or not, and if so who could and how much?...


I mean no offense to scientists, engineers nor anyone else involved in space exploration.  I just mean to play devil’s advocate and wonder if is it necessary for all states so spend so much on space exploration when we could be using the money to solve problems here on Earth?...

1 comment:

B.A. Baracus said...

I actually completely agree with you. Although there are certainly benefits to space exploration -- there is some useful scientific knowledge to be gained, and there may be natural resources to exploit in outer space -- the costs of space exploration are enormous. Space programs may constitute a miniscule portion of the overall United States government budget, but NASA's yearly budget of $17.6 billion is still some 55 times the size of American's endowment. That money could be far better spent on education, public health, international development, or whatever else your favorite pet cause might be.

I guess it' ironic that I ended up arguing in favor of space exploration. I wasn't planning on doing so, but I ran out of space for my more nuanced argument against expenditures on space programs.