Sunday, October 19, 2008

Writers Block...Warning this Blog Doesn’t Quite Flow...Do Blogs Need to Flow?-- Yet Another Stream of Consciousness

So, fall break is over, and I have made it through one-sixteenth of my college career.  My weekend did not go according to plan, instead, I found myself spending most of my weekend up on the seventh floor.  I try to visit frequently but I never can as much as I like.  This weekend however I had the pleasure of being in the company of my UC bros and (do the girls even have a nickname if so will someone please tell me what it is?).  Yes, we watched movies and the SNL skit, and ate pizza but we also got to talk-- really talk, not about the things we have to do or the stress we are encountering but whatever we were feeling.  Mindless yet meaningful chatter.  My high school lit teacher told me the best, most impressionistic part of college is the 4 am chats, and I understand why.  It is in these informal, relaxed settings where you really get to know another person, and sometimes yourself.

Maybe this is a stretch, but I think the “getting to know you” aspect of college, or life in general can be related to IR Theory, specifically constructivism.  Just a state has its own identity so does a person, and just as a state identifies other states we tend to identify other people.  Maybe that’s the whole point, maybe that’s why PTJ knew I would like constructivism so much, or maybe it’s just my writers block.  

While writing the constructivist perspective part of my essay I think I finally really grasped the concept of constructivism.  To me it makes sense, particularly I like that it recognizes the possibility of change.  My problems with realism and liberalism is they counted on things being constant-- it me they did not seem realistic.  The world is ever changing and an IR theory should recognize that.

4 comments:

B.A. Baracus said...

"Bro" is an equal opportunity term and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, or sexual orientation. We might even let in Republicans. The gender-specific terms for a Bro would be "Broseph" or "Brosephine," for a male or a female respectively.

Jasmine said...

It's Bros and Ho's. Taking ownership of the word means we're being good feminists. ;)

Amanda said...

constructivism can also have a lot to do with how people react to each other. Rachel identifies herself as a feminist and therefore acts differently towards will than she does towards the bros because her identity makes her feel uncomfortable with will's taste in interior decorating. stereotypes could be a more general example of that. people have an idea about the identity of a person based on the group they are associated with and react to them accordingly.

You should come visit more!

Seamus McGregor said...

Broseph and Brosephine