Sunday, October 26, 2008

That Thing in Italics


Most of the blogs I’ve read so far are advocating personal opinions for gun control, although they have made me reconsider what I want to blog about I’ll continue with what I intended to blog about since Friday’s class: my gut reaction to our discussion...

To me, security is simple, it’s the act of feeling safe physically and emotionally.  Naturally, all humans concerned with their well beings would be aware of security.  As security is a basic human need (the second level that much be achieved on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs) there are always people/businesses/etc taking advantage of individuals worried about their security.  This can be exemplified in the “Rubber Chair” commercial we saw in class on Friday-- a company saw where people have doubts in security and took advantage of consumers.

Of course the example of security in class that caused the biggest discussions was the website selling guns.  I have never looked up guns on the internet, let alone try to find a website trying to sell them.  The website made me extremely uneasy.  Yes, I know that anyone can buy anything over the internet, but seeing the website and seeing how easy it would be for anyone to by not only guns but huge assault rifles.  I found it sickening, the website made me feel less secure.

I have family members that are have passionate, firm, beliefs on both sides of gun control.  Although I personally have no desire to never own a gun, for any purpose, I understand both sides of the argument.  I may not agree with it, but I understand people’s desire to defend themselves and their right to bear arms.  When I say this, the gun I imagine is something used for hunting or self-defense, I do not see a huge assault riffle.  You certainly are not going hunting with that thing even if someone trying to threaten you that thing is not necessary.  Someone asked in class “are these guns useful for your personal security”...ummm I think not, in what domestic situation will you need a weapon for that ability?

In Friday’s class it was also brought up that of the examples of personal security we discussed in class, individuals are often taking security into their own hands.  If individuals are handling their security themselves it infers that the government is not doing its job of keeping people safe.  Perhaps if the government was doing a better job and making people feel secure people would not feel the need to buy guns capable of the destruction as the guns we saw in class were.



And referring to Mama D’s blog, when I found out on Friday that oil was sixty-something dollars a barrel I made a point to ask my parents how much it is back home (I admit not having to pay for gas has made me pay less attention to the prices).  I finally see a big scale example of supply and demand.  I wonder what the implications will be, will OPEC decrease production (I think I read somewhere that was a possibility)?  Most people have decreased their driving in order to use less fuel, will these habits continue?  With the desire of alternative fuels change if the prices continue to go down? And, of course the ever important self-involved question, during winter break when I have to drive to work will the prices continue to be this low? 

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Your comment about people going vigilante made me think of Boondock Saints. Granted, that movie, though absolutely kick ass, is fictional, it brings up a few good points. The law, as applied to society, is what people follow and obey, but it is not always just. The laws of the US are fallible, as are the men and women who design them. The entire legal system is our best attempt to bring order and stability to the most diverse collection of people in the world.

I would not be so quick as to say the government is not doing its job effectively. Security is a high priority, but being locked in two wars there are vast complications that are consuming the governments resources and abilities, making their domestic job less emphasis.

The police force is our domestic safeguard against the Uzi wielding fanatic. The case has been made that they would not be able to respond quickly enough, but that is not true in many cases. For example, in a robbery at local convenience stores, the standoff between the burglar and the police inevitably leads to the burglar's arrest, often without casualties. This is because he or she knows that the consequences will be much greater if there is a death added to the list of charges. In such a scenario, the police are an effective response to the danger, and prove that they are capable. Individuals do not need their own weapons.

As far as gas prices go, I feel the same way: isolated. It seems that while we are at AU, the concerns of the outside world do not directly affect us, that we can study and observe what happens without fearing for our own safety. The Metro also discards any cost of gas that we would otherwise pay. We are consuming very little gas. As far as I am concerned, we are doing our part to decrease demand for fuel.